Thursday 19 September 2013

TAST #82 Spanish Feather Stitch

I've been very late in posting my TAST stitches recently so now I have to ask you:

Ain't I quick? I've already filled my sampler with two rows of the TAST #82 stitch, Spanish Feather Stitch!



This stitch is not new to me, I've tried it several times before and always disliked it strongly. Once I even wrote in the margin of  my  '100 Embroidery Stitches', a small booklet published by Coats Craft UK with Anchor Embroidery Stitches. 

My scribble says: 'Fäster ej i tyget', meaning 'doesn't grab the fabric'. Well, of course it doesn't, as this part of the stitch is not taken to the back of the fabric!!! Silly me!
I guess what I wanted to say was that the thread did not lay flat on the surface but slid along the next stitch. I think even at one time I had to couch down some of the unruly 'corners'.

This time I had no such problem. Why not, I asked myself, and think it is because I have used Pearl #8 which has a good twist and behaves better than what I might have used on previous occassions.

Thank you Sharon for making me try the Spanish Feather Stitch again, mastering it and now liking it a lot!

For more of Sharon's TAST stitches, go to Pintangle.

17 comments:

Pamela said...

I usually stitch and post about my TAST stitch right away, but after several days of trying to do this one, I have given up. Mine looks like one mad mess of knots. Yours looks so pretty!

margaret said...

thanks Queenie the diagram you have posted is much clearer than Sharon`s instructions, you did a great job with this stitch, maybe I will have another go at the buttonhole double chain which I could not get my head round.

Queeniepatch said...

What thread did you use? I had endless trouble and frustration with stranded floss and silk. Try it with a thread that has a good twist; it helped me. Good luck!

Queeniepatch said...

Isn't it funny how some diagrams are easy to read and other not? I have a good selection of stitch dictionaries and often compare their instructions for the same stitch. Usually you will find one that is to your liking. Also if you watch a stitch video, it is possible to see how the thread behaves, if there are any problems and what tension you should have.

Annet said...

O yes, you're very quick! Nice stitches.

Claudia said...

Thank you so much for the diagam, now I will give this stitch a try!
Your rows are amazing, Queenie!

Pamela said...

I was using perle #5. I see you used #8. Maybe I'll give it another try, but I don't have a lot of hope for this one.

carorose said...

I found the same thing, that the perle thread behaves a whole lot better. I have one of those old books, from Coates I think, and the diagram is much easier to understand. I think I will have another try on a different fabric to the one I used after looking at your great results.

Queeniepatch said...

They look very much like the old stitches you posted the other day, one row of plain, one of variegated.
I swear I did mine before seeing yours; either it is telepathy, pure fluke or the influence of your skill that is rubbing off, hurrah!

Queeniepatch said...

The illustrations in this little booklet are easy to follow; the text can be very hard to understand. Do try it and I hope you will have no problem with 'slipped' stitches.

Queeniepatch said...

Sometimes a stitch is like a crossword puzzle; you need to leave a troublesom one for a while and when you come back everything works out. As I said to Claudia, the pictures are clear, the text somewhat hard to follow.

shirley said...

This is one of my favourite stitches. I love the texture it gives. Your samples are beautifully worked.

Stitching Lady said...

Queenie, I wanted to be the first to applaud for your speed. This stitch is really tricky but your diagram makes it. I made my two rows and once again came to the conclusion that I need a magnifying glass.

Queeniepatch said...

When the stitch behaves and is flat and even, it IS a lovely stitch. I wonder how it would fare on a piece that is constantly used, e.g on clothes or a fabric book. Used on a wall hanging it would stay put and look good.

Queeniepatch said...

I surprised myself with my speed! I think I wanted to 'get it over with' as I had disliked the stitch so much before. Now I am thinking how it could be used in a project. I will definitely use it again!

J Honda said...

a great encouragement Queenie - to know that even experienced and gifted embroiderers have trouble at times too :) beautiful!

Queeniepatch said...

Ha, ha!
It IS a tricky stitch!