Saturday 27 May 2017

Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival 2018 - Partnership Quilt project - Tree of Life

It is time to make a quilt block for NHK's Partnership Quilt Project at Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival 2018, to be held in Tokyo Dome in January next year.

More information can be found on the official website.

Under the tag NHK, above, you can read about this project and see my previous entires.



The theme this time is TREE OF LIFE.

In the recent TV program and on the website, the suggestions are many and free. 
What is Tree of Life? 
It could be the tree itself, it could be the leaves, flowers, fruit, seeds.... 
It could be the birds and animals that live in the tree. 
It could be the carved grafitti on the trunk. 
It could, I guess, even be a family tree!

Made by Harue Yumoto


Made by Misako Sano

My entry 2017 (Gardening)




For anyone who wants to send in and donate a block to this charity quilt project, here are the rules:

  • one block per person
  • 15 cm x 15 cm for the motif, add a seam allowance of 1-2 cm on all sides
  • flimsy block, i.e. no wadding, no quilting
  • your name should be written with pen in the seam allowance of the lower right hand corner
  • your block should have reached NHK by 31st July, 2017
  • enclose a note with your name, address, tel no, email address
  • (for entries within Japan) if you also enclose a pre stamped Japanese postcard (62 yen) with your name and address filled in, it will be returned to you with the number of which quilt your block has been added to
  • send to:


Partnership Quilt
NHK Sutekini Handmade
2-2-1 Jinnan
Shibuya-ku
Tokyo 150-8001
Japan

26 comments:

jacaranda said...

Thank you for the details. I sent one in for last year's partnership but never heard if they received it. Will think about this one.

margaret said...

look forward to seeing what you do for this challenge

Queeniepatch said...

If you make a block this time, let me know so that I can have a look out for your entry.

Queeniepatch said...

I am thinking hard!

Julie Fukuda said...

Thanks as always for the information. You did the tree last year so now you will have to take it out of the pot. Yes, this will take some thought.

Pamela said...

It is that time of year, isn't it? Thank you for this information - I'm already trying to think of what I will make! I look forward to attending the show with you again in January.

Queeniepatch said...

As you know I always add the Swedish flag. THAT is the first challenge for me!

Queeniepatch said...

I bet you will make a hexagon tree!
I am already looking forward to seeing the show with you.

Rachel said...

So many interpretations of the theme...

Janie said...

That's a good theme, trees are beautiful with amazing variety.
I'm sure you'll come up with a fun design Queenie.

Queeniepatch said...

Together with my friends I go round the show every year and marvel at the variety, creativity, different colourways and skill. Next show will offer more diversity than ever.

Queeniepatch said...

Well, you now how many different butterflies there are, so understand that there are a lot of variety amongst trees, too.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like your 2017 entry.

Queeniepatch said...

I COULD do a copy, but where is the fun in that?

Renee said...

I look forward to seeing what you create this year!

Queeniepatch said...

I am still wearing my Thinking Cap.

carorose said...

That is a great theme. I love trees. Look forward to seeing your design.

Queeniepatch said...

You have made a fantastic tree embroidery with lots of structure on each tree trunk. This project is QUILTING so I have to keep the embroidery to a minimum.

Tanya said...

Thank you again for the information. I missed the NHK program. The problem probably won't be making the block so much as figuring out WHAT to make. Time to get my thinking cap on.

Queeniepatch said...

I have an idea but the small size of the block is blocking me!

featheryfern said...

Hi Queeniepatch,

Thank you very much for kindly sharing the new info! Your blocks are really beautiful! :-)

For future reference, we can contact this email address: quilt@ nhk-ed.co.jp if we need an update about our blocks.

The NHK Quilt team replied to my inquiry in Feb. from that address and told me which quilt (#43) my tulip block was sewn into along with a link to the 63 quilts (that unfortunately doesn't work anymore). Hope everyone has gotten a chance to see the quilt that their donated block was sewn into!

Thanks again and take care,
featheryfern

featheryfern said...

Sorry to hear about that, Jacaranda. You'll be happy to know that your block was received! If you like, I could email the photo of your NHK quilt to you. Just let me know. :-)

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you for your information. I am glad to hear someone with English skills answered you. My experience is that NHK are really bad at foreign languages, and it is always noticeable at the show where the staff at the enquiry desk speak nothing but Japanese.

featheryfern said...

Thank you very much, Queeniepatch, for providing a glimpse into the Tokyo quilt show! :-) I haven't attended yet, but it sounds very surprising since, here in the States, NHK broadcasts a good English-language news program, so I've been wrongly assuming that at least one fluent English speaker would be present to help international guests at the show. Good to know that a Japanese-speaking friend's attendance would be helpful. Thanks again, and hope you're already working on this year's block! :-)

Marijke said...

Do you know if there is a wearable art category, or a would a kimono fit a category

Queeniepatch said...

Sorry, the contests include Traditional, Original, Wa (Japanese), and Junior quilts, and there is a bag category, too
The partnership quilt project is not part of the contest, you donate a block and it is stitched together with other blocks into flimsies and then quilted by volunteers. The quilts are raffled off and unless you win your own quilt you never see your block again.